Utah State Bar
Utah Supreme Court
J Reuben Clark
pi sigma alpha
Utah Association for Justice badge

5 Things to Do If You Have Been Hurt at Work

Rose Legal, PLLC

Injured at Work?

If you have been hurt at work in Utah, here are the 5 things you need to do:

  1. Report the details of the accident to your supervisor immediately.
  2. Seek medical treatment as per your workplace guidelines.
  3. Follow your doctor’s orders and medical instructions.
  4. Verify and get copies of:
    • your employers Form 122E – Employers First Report of Injury or Illness
    • the insurance carrier’s Form 122C – First Report of Injury or Illness
    • the doctor’s Form 123 – Physician’s Initial Report of Work Injury or Occupational Disease
    • your workers’ compensation insurer’s denial or acceptance letters
    • medical records from all doctors that treated you after your accident
  5. Consult with a workers’ compensation attorney if your claim is denied or underpaid.

From the Utah Labor Commission Website

An injured employee should report an injury or illness to their employer immediately. It is the responsibility of the employee to report the injury to a physician, supervisor, manager, human resources person, or any individual or department that should receive the report of injury. If the employee is not able to report the injury directly, next of kin can report on their behalf. It is important to ensure the report of an injury or illness is documented. If an injured employee fails to report an injury or illness within 180 days, they may be disqualified from receiving workers’ compensation benefits.

Once an injury or illness has been reported to the employer, the employer has 7 days to report the claim to its insurance carrier and the insurance carrier has 14 days to report the “First Report of Injury” (Form 122) to the Industrial Accidents Division. The employer and its insurance carrier must provide a copy of the report to the injured worker.

A doctor treating an injured employee is required to complete a “Physician’s Initial Report of Injury or Illness” (Form 123) and submit the report to the Industrial Accidents Division within 7 days of the initial visit. An injured employee should explain to the treating doctor HOW, WHEN and WHERE the injury or illness occurred. The injured employee can request a copy of the Form 123 from the medical provider.

The insurance carrier will open a claim for benefits once they have received either one or both reports from the employer or doctor. The insurance carrier is to make a determination of compensability of the injury or illness within 21 days of having received the claim for benefits. If further investigation is necessary, the insurance carrier or self-insured employer has an additional 24 days to accept or deny your claim.

Hurt at work in Utah? Contact Tim Rose today.



Client Reviews

My adjuster had denied my workers’ compensation claim for my on the job injury. I was not able to return to work and didn’t know where to turn. I was recommended to Tim Rose at Rose Legal and he took care of my...

Sarah P.

I had talked with several other attorneys before I found Tim Rose. Tim was able to explain the law to me in a way that the other attorneys failed. I now understood what needed to be done to help move my claim...

Miguel M.

We can't thank you enough for all you have done for us on our workers’ compensation claim. We'll never forget your kindness and dedication. It was such a positive experience for us. You were absolutely great!!!

Jill R.

Get in Touch

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 No Fee Until We Win
  3. 3 Workers’ Comp Is All We Do
Fill out the contact form or call us at 801-810-ROSE(7673) to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message